Saturday, December 15, 2012

Day 15: Festivus For The Rest Of Us

I had this post already written before the tragedy in Newtown, CT but I wanted to add this opening first.  Despite all of my ragging on the three Minions in my blog, I love them more than anything in the world.  I could never imagine waking up one day without them and all of the craziness they cause around the house.  With that said, my heart goes out to all of the parents, students and teachers of the Sandy Hook school.  Many innocent lives were taken yesterday, lives that had just begun to grow and learn.

"Truly wonderful the mind of a child is." - Yoda

Christmas time on the Death Star, just don't hang an ornament wrong.
Well, what do we have here?  It's Day 15.  That means there are only ten more days to your Blogvent Calendar.  Seeing it's Day 15 I am going to assume you've read Days 1-14 already, if you haven't...well that just makes me sad...no not really, it makes you stupid for not starting at Day 1, but if you are brand new here I will give you a pass and direct you to all of the other days before Day 15.

However if you would like to read Days 1-14, I can direct your attention to the right side of my blog and you can click the 25 Days Present to open your Blog-vent Calendar gift.Take some time to go and check them out, that way you can catch up on the discolored lumps of chocolate like everyone else.

First off I would like to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas.  What?  You are offended by me wishing you a Merry Christmas?  Why?  Because you don't celebrate Christmas?  So, what do YOU celebrate?  You can wish me a Happy/Merry/Joyus Whatever You Celebrate and I won't be offended at all.  That's how it works, it's simple and there is no reason to get your yule log in a bunch over it.

If you are Jewish and celebrate Chanukah, wish me a Happy Chanukah, I'm not going to be upset over it.  Send me Chanukah card and invite me over to celebrate the Festival of Lights, it won't offend me.  Hell, I'll even spin a Dreidel or two with you.
If you are Wiccan or Pagen or whatever and celebrate Winter Solstice, wish me a Joyus Solstice, again, I'm not going to freak out about it.  I'll gladly listen to tales around a campfire and enjoy the celebration of Winter with you and your friends.
If you celebrate Kwanzaa, wish me glad tidings of Kwanzaa!  Display you Kwanzaa decorations proudly and enjoy your holiday!  Actually I would like meet someone who actually does celebrate Kwanzaa just so they can tell me what they do on that day.

What I'm getting at here is there is enough room in the world for everyone to celebrate their holidays and not throw a holiday tantrum over trivial things like this.  Don't take Christmas out of schools, include the other holidays.  Instead of removing something from the classroom, make it so the kids learn about other cultures and how they celebrate.  Put a Menorah next to the Christmas tree and Kwanzaa wreath.  Whatever happened to accepting all people?  That notion has been shelved to try to make everyone happy.

Guess what?  You can't make everyone happy.  Period.  Learn that and move on.

On the flip side, it's OK to wish people a Happy Holiday too.  Don't let your eggnog boil over if someone says Happy Holiday.  They probably are too scared to wish you something else for fear of you retaliating and accosting them for wishing you whatever they celebrate.  Someone will wish another a Happy Holiday and that person snaps back and says "Merry CHRISTMAS!  I celebrate Christmas!"  Wow, that's cheery huh?  Unfortunately that's the world we live in today.  We can't send snacks into school with our kids because some other kid might be allergic to them and we can't wish people Happy Whatever We Celebrate to people because it might offend them.

Sad.
Fuck it, Festivus for the Rest of Us!

After the hot dog incident, I finally trapped him.  This was taken right before I hit puree.

7 comments:

  1. Keep the Han in Hannukah. LOL The Kwanza one cracked me up too. Elf smoothie...hmm...low calorie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say 'Happy Easter' to people to remind them to plan ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is brilliant! I think I might have to start doing that.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed reading your posting! I agree the world is big enough for everyone to celebrate their holiday! Uh oh your elf has found himself in a predicament! :) Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing that will be heard in this house come Christmas day, is "who ate all the mince pies?"

    I almost feel sorry for Gonads...almost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a reason everyone celebrates something this time of year...to sshed light in the darkness. People can wish me a merry or happy anything I appreciate the kind thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Solstice!

    I love the Elf a la Gremlin mode. <3

    ReplyDelete