Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day

Did you know that there are controls on your iPhone that can be used to stop your three year old from purchasing in-app items?

Anyway, happy Father's Day to all of the Dads out there, I hope everyone had a great time, the beer flowed cold and the grills burned hot.  It's funny the difference between Father's Day and Mother's Day, on Mother's Day, they get breakfast in bed, flowers and pampering and on Father's Day we slave cooking our own dinner on the grill...just kidding, my day was really good actually and the Trophy made an awesome homemade supper.


We ended up staying home all day because, well we couldn't afford to go anywhere but it was a fun time.  The Minions cleaned up around the house...a little and we had a nice roast pork dinner with mashed potatoes, corn and for dessert, homemade Boston Cream Pie.  I love the Trophy.

But there was one thing that that tested my Dad patience today.  I woke up and checked my email like I normally do and a midst my daily comics and Scouting emails there was an invoice from iTunes, which in itself isn't odd because we do buy songs and apps, but recently we haven't been because we are trying to save money.  Needless to say we haven't purchased anything from iTunes in over a month and normally I delete the email because I know what we purchased but this one I decided to open and good thing I did...

Minion #3 has this nasty little habit of grabbing things that are not his like toys, food...iPhones.  Well we went over a friend's house for dinner last night and #3 got a hold of the Trophy's phone and started playing Angry Birds Space.  How do I know he was playing Angry Birds Space you ask?  Because when I woke up this morning I had to spend 30 minutes on the phone with Apple...and not the Geniuses, to get $29.99 plus tax back for an in-app purchase.  What kind of idiot offers thirty dollar in-app purchases?  I guess I should be asking myself what kind of idiot doesn't have parental control on their electronic devices?  That's a simple answer...us.

Anyway, 30 minutes and a long lecture from the Apple person, we got our money back and they pulled the in-app purchase out.  Happy Father's Day from the Minions.

Oh and Happy Father's Day Dad...I miss you....



2 comments:

  1. First, Happy Father's Day! "Minions...I'm your father..." My Grumpy Old Punk got breakfast in bed and a six pack of assorted beers along with a huge ass beer mug with the instructions to park himself in the hammock and work on the brews. So I tried to make it as special as a Mother's Day. But let's face it - you guys just aren't as good at whining, guilting and complaining in order to achieve ultimate pampering. So that 'splains the disparity between the holidays.

    Second, that's a sweet pic of you and your Dad. I know Father's Day must be bittersweet for you. I lost my dad a long time ago, but it always stings.

    And I don't mean like the leader of the rock group The Police.

    And finally, the first daggone charge on my nook was when my then 5 yo subscribed to Popular Science because he liked the picture of the plane on the cover. Yeah. It took me a long freaking time to get that charge taken off my statement. And yes, I got a lecture too.

    My 13 yo? Get ready for this...in the last three months, he has charged hundreds of dollars to my husband's credit card from XBox. If it were solely up to me, the XBox would go bye bye for a long time and I'd have him sitting in a chair in the corner of the room with a fricking rubik's cube. And not the one that talks either. Lock it up. Lock everything up that you can possibly lock up and don't take no lip from the Apple suckwad "Geniuses" because they know the system is rigged against us parents. They know how easy they've made it for kids to rack up the charges. They do it on purpose and then they yell at us. Buttbongs!

    Okay. I'm done. I've vented.

    Happy Father's Day Darth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! The purchases start early! Like Linda above, we had some online purchase issues with a 15 year old who is currently paying off a $1400 debt (that is a lot of $5 allowances and holiday gift money)....yikes!

    ReplyDelete